I just wanted to send a message to say thank you to Buzzard parents/carers. You are all doing amazing jobs- I really appreciate the emails and well wishes from all of you. Week one is nearly completed! Have a fabulous Friday and a lovely weekend.
I have set up a Numbots and Times Tables Rockstar account for everyone in Buzzard class.
Please can you email me if you would like your login details.
NumBots has been designed to help boost addition and subtraction skills. They advise that you use this little and often, children should regularly play for short bursts (10-15minutes per day).
In Story Mode the emphasis is on learning the ideas and concepts behind addition and subtraction, therefore it features more diagrams, shapes and question styles. In Challenge Mode the emphasis is more on speed of recall of key facts, like number bonds to 10, doubling small numbers or adding and taking away in your head.
After the decision by government to shut schools from Monday onwards for most children we have created home learning pages to help continue to educate our children at home. We know that many of you will be nervous about the situation and the implications it has for you and your children. We hope that the steps we have taken will reduce this anxiety and give you support over this time. We have been working to put together packs of activities, tasks and resources for your children to complete during this time. I have sent paper copies of the first week home with your children.
I will also be regularly updating this page with specific work and challenges to complete daily. I will also be giving support and advice alongside these activities if you have any questions about work given. Please stay in touch and email me with queries this can be anything from how to structure your day, explaining concepts or just to let me know how the children are getting on. I would love to hear from the children too, so if they want to send a message within your email please do! Pictures of children completing tasks will also be fantastic. The Buzzard email account is: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have looked at a range of activities that you can do without printing these off. We are also sending home a workbook so you can access the materials online and do not need to print things out if unnecessary. I know that the children have been concerned this week at school and it has been appropriate to come away from timetabled lessons at some points during the week to focus on personal, social and emotional development. If you feel this is appropriate at some points during your week please do this too. Enjoy this time with your children. Please continue to keep in touch with us, we will love to hear what you are doing together.
Love from Miss Crowe and Mrs Hall.
Reading is an area that we would love you to focus on. Please continue to read with your child, this includes reading stories to your children, looking at different books online, reading websites such as Newsround, and getting them to read as much as possible to you. Whilst you do not have access to our reading scheme these sites will help you ensure they are experiencing a vast range of reading materials:Bottom of Form
- Bug club: https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk this is something that the children are very familiar with and access in school. They provide electronic books that are specific to the child’s reading level and can be adjusted where necessary. All children will be provided with an individual log in for this. Please get in contact if your child needs more books added or needs their reading level adjusted.
- Spreeder: Spreeder https://www.spreeder.com/app.php is a fun activity to try and improve speed of reading by copying a text into the box and increasing the speed that the words are shown on the screen. See how quickly you can read (and understand!) the words!
- Phonics play: https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ This website has a number of games and activities to increase children’s phonological awareness. This is, again, something that we use regularly in school and will be very familiar to your child. They should be able to access this independently. The children in Buzzard Class love playing obb and bob. The website are providing free access for the duration of school closures and can be accessed using the following log in details:
Username: march20 Password: home
- Children will be provided with high frequency words relevant to their stage of development. They can practice writing these into sentences, spelling and reading them. I have also included a common exception words booklet.
- Start and continue to write a diary entry each day writing about what you have done during your day. You are part of history! You never know, someone might be reading your diary in 20 years’ time!
- Write shopping lists, cards, letters, postcards or emails to friends. I would love to hear from you, please email me and write about what you are doing at home.
- Show Me: http://www.show.me.uk/ has a range of museum activities about any topic. Use the search function to find The Stone Age, Dinosaurs, Evolution or anything else you are interested in and then try out some of the activities.
- Take a tour of the Natural History Museum and look at the vast array of past and present exhibits https://naturalhistory.si.edu/visit/virtual-tour. All of them are pretty interesting so have a good look around, but there are a number of specific rooms that are really relevant to our ‘land before time’ topic, such as the dinosaur and fossil rooms. We have just learnt about Dippy the Diplodocus and measured ourselves against his femur.